Saturday, June 15, 2019

Barcelona

I have a gap for 4 days between the end of the semester in Delaware and the beginning of the study abroad program, so, I decided to fly to Barcelona to visit some of the best friends of my PhD supervisor. They waited for me at my hostel which is very close to the train station.

They took me for a very nice lunch. One thing I noticed from the restaurant here is, the menu is only one page, that already include the choices of appetizer, main meal and dessert. So you have only 3-4 choices for each. Most people just get the complete course. The portion is reasonably small compared to the US size. I finished everything here and I felt that I can fit more with no doubt. Haha. 

I had been so tired before coming, so, lunch is followed by a long siesta till 9 PM. After that, a light dinner at the hostel where I met an inspiring Malaysian lady who is a solo traveler. We had a good chat till midnight. 

The next day, we started a research project at the University of Politécnica de Catalunya, where I have chance to meet Einstein. Haha. Very close to the campus, there is a garden of Gaudi, with a dragon at the gate. 



Barcelona Central Train station
By the way, from the airport, we can take train to the central station, using the Renfe train. For this, we can use the T10 tickets, which cost 10.2 Euro. The other option using the T10 ticket is the bus. For the metro, you can reach the city center, but the T10 ticket will not work.







Not too far from the central station, there is plaza españa, I took this picture on the way to witness the magic fountain of Montjuïc. In fact, when I arrived, I exit the wrong side of the station to my hostel, I almost dragged my luggage to here. Haha.

 I was very lucky, then starting June, the magic fountain show started Wednesday, instead of Thursday, so I have the opportunity to watch. The show is for 30 minutes, twice a day, at 9.30 PM and 10 PM. I chose the 9.30 PM because I am afraid I would have fall asleep. The show was amazing. The music started and the fountain danced based on the music. For this, the pictures will not do a fair judgement, you have to be there, to enjoy and to be wet too.

The oldest restaurant in Barcelona. 


For the meal, I search online, what is the ¨must try¨ restaurant in Barcelona. The top one is ¨La Casa de Culleretes, a 200 years old restaurant and it is famous for the Paella. So, I decided to visit there one night, even though the meal is a bit pricy. For me, the taste of the food is not very special. But, this is also my first time trying to Paella, so I have nothing to compare with.

La Paella



A visit to Barcelona will not be complete without witnessing the Sagrada de Familia. It is the last unfinished great work of Gaudi too. The building is just impressive! The detail is jaw dropping. I prefer the old part than the new part. Since this place is so popular, it is recommended to buy the ticket online way in advance. I tried to queue from morning at 9 at ticket office, but all the ticket is sold out. I almost lost my chance to visit. The inside has a more modern impression. The cheapest ticket to get in was 22 Euro.




On the left here is the top floor of Casa de Mila, or for local, is known as La Pedreda. Since I am not an artsy person, it impressed me but not a place that I could spend time in. I just don´t get the message. The ticket can also be bought online. This venue is not as popular as Sagrada de Familia, easier to obtain ticket. 




Here is a famous market in Barcelona, it is La Boqueria Mercat. I bumped to this place by chance and at that time, I didn´t have much time to visit. So, I just took a picture and had a quick look. As you can see, the number of human beings visiting this place is enormous! 

The last thing that I enjoyed in Barcelona before departing for Granada was a classical concert! It is conducted by Jordi Savall.  I got 40% off because I am under 35 years old. I bet not many young people come to watch orchestra performance anymore. I went with my 2 professor and one of them take her mom. The concert took place in L'auditori and the room is almost fully packed. The show was 2 hours in total. Honestly, I fall asleep at some point of the first part before the break. The show started at 8PM and end at 10 PM. All the musicians played so much in harmony that it seems only one solid sound for each instrument. I love the sound of castanet so much! It is a great show!


That's all about Barcelona that I could share. I had great time here :). Hope you have chance to visit and enjoy this beautiful city. 


No comments:

Post a Comment